Released in 1987 by Dinamic Software, “Game Over II,” known as “Phantis” in Spain, is a classic title that combines elements of a scrolling shooter and a platform game. Available on multiple platforms, including the ZX Spectrum, MSX, MS-DOS, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, and Atari ST, the game offered players a unique and challenging gaming experience.
Story: At the end of Game Over, the hero Arkos defeated the evil Gremla. Now he’s been kidnapped by Gremla’s hiers and taken to the prison planet of Phantis and taken to a dungeon. It’s up to you to rescue Arkos and defeat the evil empire holding him in chains.
Graphics: The game featured colourful and detailed graphics that were quite impressive for the era. The environments were well-designed, and the character sprites were well-drawn, adding to the overall visual appeal of the game.
Gameplay: “Game Over II” excelled in combining two distinct gameplay styles. In the shooter segments, players piloted a spacecraft through various scrolling levels, engaging in intense shoot-’em-up action. The controls were responsive, making it easy to navigate through waves of enemy spacecraft and obstacles.
The platform segments brought a change of pace, with players exploring intricate levels filled with platforming challenges, traps, and enemies. This hybrid gameplay added depth to the overall experience, as it required players to adapt to different gameplay styles, keeping the gameplay engaging.
There’s six levels to get through before reaching Arkos’ prison cell, in order these are – the surface, alien base, underground forest, inner lake, magma and then the prison. The planet’s surface is mountainous and occupied by some not-so-friendly aliens called the Pelotrones. Once you are inside the alien base you have to take control of the Ionic turbo laser and its proton loader to arm you to full power. Then in the underground forest, you must find a medallion that opens the blue door which leads to the inner lake. Be careful as there’s piranhas and dinosaurs lurking beneath the hot waters. After this, you clamber into a helicopter to fly through a hazardous canyon filled with lava. Once through that, you reach the cells and have a chance to rescue Arkos.
Sound: The game’s soundtrack and sound effects were quite memorable. The music complemented the action and helped immerse players in the game’s world. The explosions and other sound effects added to the overall excitement of the game.
Challenge: “Game Over II” was known for its difficulty. The combination of shooter and platform gameplay added a layer of complexity, making it a challenging title that required both precision and quick reflexes. This high level of difficulty was a double-edged sword, as it could be frustrating for some players but immensely rewarding for those who enjoyed a tough gaming challenge.
Quick Tips for Game Over II
- Practice, Practice, Practice: This game can be quite challenging, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t succeed on your first attempt. Practice is key to mastering the game’s mechanics and getting further.
- Master Both Gameplay Styles: As the game combines scrolling shooter and platforming segments, make sure you’re comfortable with both gameplay styles. Practice your shooting and manoeuvring in the shooter levels and work on your platforming skills in the platform sections.
- Collect Power-Ups: Look out for power-ups that enhance your spacecraft’s abilities in the shooter sections. These might include improved weapons, shields, or other advantages. Collecting these can significantly boost your chances of success.
- Watch Out for Obstacles: In the shooter sections, keep an eye out for obstacles and enemies. Learn the patterns and behaviors of different enemy types, and anticipate their movements to avoid taking damage.
- Memorize Platforming Sections: The platforming levels often require precision and memorization. Learn the layout of these levels, the location of traps, and the patterns of enemy movements to progress efficiently.
- Manage Resources: In shooter levels, manage your ammunition and special weapons carefully. Don’t waste valuable resources on easy targets. Save your powerful weapons for tougher enemies and boss fights.