In 1987 Irem produced one of the greatest shoot em ups of our time, a shoot em up that even today is regarded as one of the best. That shoot em up was none other than R-Type. A game which featured many waves of enemies, a beam weapon, power ups, great level detail (that almost feels alive), big menacing bosses and a fantastic soundtrack that you will listen to again and again. So why is this awesome game getting another mention? Well we’ve just found out that the in development Sega Mega Drive/Genesis of ‘Mega R-Type,’ has got a BIG demo update with a new stage and more!
Here’s the latest from the itch io page. “A fight 36 years in the making, finally on your Mega Drive /Genesis. Fly R-9 through eight exciting levels of high-powered action. Use your plasma gun to rip through armies of nasty creatures and their deadly machines. And when the going gets really tough, pick up Droid Units to make your ship even harder hitting. You’ll be up against creatures so mean and ugly they’ll make your hair stand on end. But Earth is depending on you. So strap yourself in the cockpit, put your fingers on the triggers, and blast ’em out of the skies!”.
This DEMO update features:
- Stage 6 with 2 Bosses! (Thanks to Yuichi/@asinagasugi for the pc-engine assets. Check out his X68000 R-Type port WIP!)
- Improves instant respawn mode, with 2 seconds of flashing invincibility
- Improved manual fire response so you can manually shoot faster than auto-fire by bashing the button
- Beam button now works for normal shoot as in arcade, including manual repeated fire
- Improved most sound effects quality
- Added sfx feedback when hit in invincible mode
- Adjusted anti-air laser/bits/force hitboxes
- Adjusted force shooting speed
- Added some missing animations to bullets
- Player ship is a little faster and speeds up faster (up to 8 levels)
- Bits acceleration more close to arcade
- Better timing for PAL machines
Links :1) Source