As we said before… Galaxian has appeared on Indie Retro News many times over the years, especially as it is one particular Arcade classic that homebrew developers love making clones of. Well here’s another Galaxian story for those of you that remember this Arcade classic! As Saberman has contacted us to let us know that JOTD has released another beta update to the work in progress Arcade conversion of Galaxian for the Commodore Amiga. To coincide with this news story, Saberman has also done a video showing the beta 4 version being played.
Wikipedia : “Galaxian was Namco’s first major arcade video game hit. It was the second highest-grossing arcade game of 1979 and 1980 in Japan, and the second highest-grossing arcade game of 1980 in the United States, where it became one of the best-selling arcade games of all time with 50,000 arcade units sold by 1982. The game was celebrated for its gameplay and usage of true color graphics”. So yes certainly this could be a great game for the Commodore Amiga, and even more so as it’s being created by JOTD with thanks to other members listed below!
- – Jean-Francois Fabre (aka jotd): Z80 to 68k transcode, Amiga code and assets
- – Mark McDougall (aka tcdev): Neo Geo code and assets (conversion)
- – Scott Tunstall: Galaxian Z80 reverse engineering
- – phx: ptplayer sound/music replay Amiga code
- – blastar: NGFX SoundBuilder (Neo Geo sound tool)
- – Namco: original game 🙂
Links :1) Source